AAAAAAAAA! I’ve done it again! I let the blog posting get away from me. I’ve had a pretty good stretch of getting new designs drawn up, so that makes it okay. Right? I think so. Yes.
This weekend is another busy one and part of it is the annual bash that our good friends September and Mike put on. That’s why it’s called the SnM party. September ‘n’ Mike. No kink, just drink. And eat. And drink. And visit friends, drink with friends, and sit down to have a drink. It is also part fundraiser for the Rob Horne Scholarship at our university. Since it’s the 10th year of the annual SnM, we were asked if we could come up with a shirt design that could be offered to guests with a portion of the sales going to the Rob Horne Scholarship. The theme is Vikings. Sounded pretty cool to me, so I started sketching.
Step 1. Go to the lake to stay at a friend’s cabin. What’s that got to do with the shirts? I brought my sketchbook and doodled out the Viking stuff in one shot. Perhaps I should like to purchase a cabin as an inspirational sketch location. We need to sell a shitload more shirts before the Crock Cabin is built, though.
Step 2. After importing my sketch to Illustrator, I begin the process of outlining the artwork with the Pen Tool. I use red outlines for ease of visibility. Mr. Viking was my starting point.
Step 3. Sketching continued with the addition of the busty female Viking. It was during this time of the illustration that I scoured the internet for Viking clothing to check up on details, such as wrist lacing and hair braids. I also took a peek at helmets and decided to go with the more simple and well-known horny type. Being horny will also make for funny jokes throughout the evening of the party, I am sure.
Step 4. Next up was a Viking boat for the couple to sit in. They aren’t really sitting in it, but it’s there to balance the graphic and add more to the theme. After looking through reference material online, I decided to change the boat head detail from my original and sketched up a new one.
Step 5. This is where I traced the SnM letters that I had sketched. I also added a Roman numeral X for the tenth edition of the party. I know they aren’t Roman, but it looked classic and I don’t know shit about Viking lettering. These Vikings will just have to deal with the Romans for now. Nobody would have known any better, but now that I’ve explained it to you, my secret is out. I also played around with putting the X in a shield and placed all the components together.
Step 6. The result of Step 5 pissed me off a bit. Something didn’t look right. There was too much stuff fighting for attention in that the SnM, and X shield were the same size. Something clearly had to be done, so I combined the SnM and X into the shield together. I also added another line to the back of the boat to balance things out and centralize the shield. As you can see, I also filled in my line work black. No longer pissed off at this point.
Step 7. The final illustration was finished off with some shading to show some depth. I also threw in some texture shapes along the bottom of the boat and on Mr. Viking to dirty things up a bit. Finally, a white outline contains the whole works into a nice package.